We all know that we should eat healthy foods in order to take all necessary vitamins and proteins for a healthy body. Do you know that lack of vitamins and proteins in the body can cause a thyroid deficiency? Yes, if you have thyroid deficiency, it means the minerals you are taking are unable to be processed properly. Do you know the importance of thyroid gland in our body and how it works? If no, read here and get your answer.
The thyroid is a gland which is present in our neck. It is largely responsible for the body’s metabolism that allows cells to create energy from the foods. Thyroid hormones also play a major in the regulation of the body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate and the functioning of vital organs such as liver and brain. Thyroid diseases can also cause the thyroid to malfunction. For many people, managing thyroid is not just taking medications because they turn to vitamins and other nutrients to help in managing the condition. How can vitamins help in managing thyroid? Which are the essential vitamins for thyroid? This article is all about vitamins for thyroid.
Vitamins For Thyroid
An adequate amount of vitamins are essential for human health as well as to manage thyroid condition. Vitamins and nutrients can help in fighting the underlying causes of thyroid disorders such as autoimmune process and inflammation. Vitamins help in improving a dysfunctional thyroid.
One of the vital things to understand is that no one should supplement with vitamins and minerals without medical advisement. First of all, you need to take a blood test to figure out the level of vitamins and minerals in your body. Results may help you to find out the nutrients deficiency that requires you to get a higher amount of certain vitamins or supplement. Well, some of the specific nutrients that may be beneficial for thyroid are the following-:
- Iodine is one of the essential vitamins for thyroid patients. You need an adequate supply of iodine to make thyroid hormones. The recommended intake of iodine for adults is minimum 150 micrograms a day. The good sources of iodine are milk, cheese, poultry eggs, kelp and other seaweeds. You have to be always careful with supplementing iodine because too much of iodine can be problematic and actually cause hypothyroidism.
Vitamin B -:
- Another essential nutrient for managing thyroid condition is vitamin B. Vitamin B is important for the people with hypothyroidism because vitamin B help in regulating the thyroid hormones. Studies have found that it is best to take a nutritional supplement that includes the entire vitamin B complex and you may also need additional vitamin B12 if you have deficiency of vitamin B. the good sources of vitamin B include whole grains, legumes, nuts, yogurt, meat, fish, eggs, seed and dark leafy greens.
- Selenium also supports the thyroid metabolism and synthesis. Some studies have found that foods that provide selenium include tuna, shrimp, salmon, sardines, scallops, lamb, chicken beef, turkey eggs and shitake mushrooms. You can also take 100 to 200 micrograms of selenium in supplement form per day.
- Along with the above nutrients, zinc also plays a major role in the conversion of the thyroid hormone T4 to T3. Selenium and zinc both are beneficial in improving thyroid functions and hormone level. Foods that are the great source of zinc are meat, mollusks, shellfish, legumes and nuts. Well, if you want to take a zinc supplement, you can take 30 milligrams.
- Tyrosine is a nutrient that involved in thyroid productions and conversion. It is an amino acid and the best way to get more tyrosine is to make sure you are getting enough protein. Your aim should be to consume 10 to 35 percent of your calories from protein each day.
Vitamin D –:
- It is found that people suffering from thyroid often have the deficiency of vitamin D. it is one of the vital nutrients for a healthy body and to maintain the production of thyroid hormones. You can get vitamin D from fortified milk, yogurt and orange juice.
- Do you know microbiome in the gut plays a critical role in many physiological processes including thyroid function? Yes, due to this, it is recommended to take a probiotic supplement. You can take a probiotic supplement after consulting with your doctor.
Omega 3 fatty acids –:
- Omega 3 fatty acid is really essential for thyroid patients. It helps in decreasing the inflammation and help with immunity for thyroid support. Intake of omega 3 fatty acids can increase the production of thyroid hormones.
- Antioxidants plays a vital role in killing the free radicals that can cause damage to your skin cells. It helps in increasing the metabolism of the thyroid and also increase the efficiency of other nutrients. You need to eat foods that are high in antioxidants such as pecans, wild blueberries, dark cranberries and artichoke.
These vitamins are needed not only for the production of the thyroid hormones but also for the proper functioning of the body. These are the essentials vitamins for thyroid patients. If you are suffering from a thyroid problem, you should take these vitamins in an adequate amount for the proper functioning of thyroid gland. If you have a chronic condition, these vitamins and a healthy diet can help in managing your problem. You should eat an anti-inflammatory diet full of lots of fruits and vegetables as well as unprocessed foods. Limit the sugar and processed food items that are the triggers for the thyroid problem. So, if you want to get rid of the thyroid problem fast, eat these vitamins for thyroid treatment.